Sunday, July 3, 2011

Getting to know THE WANTED boys




With such an imposing name such as The Wanted—they better be wanted, right? Let’s just say they were very desired while they were here in KL. They performed at the Laundry Bar on 20 February 2011 to a young audience-with several parents acting as guardians and supporters in the mix. In case you don’t already know, the five boys that form the boy band hailing from the UK are: Tom Parker, Max George, Siva Kaneswaran, Jay McGuiness and Nathan Sykes.

I got a chance to chat with these youngins while with hot magazine and this was the outcome:

Saying that The Wanted boys were all-around nice guys would be a serious understatement. They are more than sweethearts or mere pretty faces. We wanted to know the distinctive personality behind each member, so we taped the interview and even created a video compilation of goofy outtakes. Now, hot understands the massive appeal of this UK pop boy band consisting of: Tom Parker, Max George, Siva Kaneswaran, Jay McGuiness, Nathan Sykes. They each have unique characters —not contrived; mind you— which makes them so wanted.

We now present the boys to you; all candid and without frippery. They engaged, teased, and entertained us during the interview. Watch and see! Don’t miss out on their acoustic harmonising at the end when they serenaded hot magazine.



Here are some transcribed bits, but we recommend watching the video to really see these boys in their natural setting when they aren’t performing...

What makes you hot for a girl?

Siva: She is courageous, confident, cute, and has a nice smile.

Nathan: Somebody really cute that doesn't take themselves too seriously. Somebody who isn't arrogant, I don't like arrogance [shakes head].

Max: I like a girl who is funny, outgoing and is very sort of family oriented. I like a girl that looks after her family.

Jay: Someone goofy that won't take herself, or me too seriously, relaxed...and can dance well.

Tom: I like a girl that's really outgoing, very confident and doesn't take herself too seriously. And looks like Angelina Jolie; kinda [shrugs].

Of course the next question would be ...Are you guys single?

Jay: [Puts up both hands] Yes!

Tom: Yes.

Nathan: Yes.

Siva: Noooo... [smiles sheepishly]

Max: No. [shakes head]

Are you guys going to come back for a full show?

The boys answered with a resounding “Yes! 200%”

Siva: We had a good response already [at the Laundry Bar]. We went utterly crazy, it was a controlled crazy. [watch the video for their enthusiactic reaction to the Malaysian fans]

When you guys first heard "Malaysia", what was the first thing that came to mind?

Max: I've got two Malaysian Water monitors at home.

Jay: I thought, we're all gonna go see Siva's family. [laughs]

Tom: I was just looking forward to trying different foods. We're not been anywhere except McDonald's for the last three weeks, so...

What did you guys try?

Max: There was a fish soup thing that was very spicy with noodles...

Siva: We went to Little Penang...

Max: Chinese tea ice...

Nathan: The one that I liked most was...which one was the dish with the chicken and coconut rice?

So you can all do spicy then, huh?

Jay: No...[shakes head]. I'm allergic to dairy as well...I had rice and you know it was pretty spicy, that red thing (I'm not touching that). It still tasted great. So, I gave all my spices to Nate... and he cried like a little girl.

Nathan: Just through a natural reaction, I think.

Jay: Yeah, his eyes watered.

If you could bring back a dead artist to work with, who would it be?

Tom: John Lennon

Jay: Michael Angelo

Max: Elvis

Nate: Luther Vandross

Siva: MJ. I just had to say it.

If you guys had to describe yourself in three words, what would it be?

Tom: Very, very loud.

Jay: Pale, goofy and dumb. I couldn't think of a word so I thought, 'How dumb is that? So, I’m pretty dumb. [laughs]

Max: Not so much in Asia; but short. Some girl came up to me yesterday and said you're so tall [laughs]. [rolls eyes] Yeah, I get told that all the time. [laughs]

Jay: [Interjects] And he was so happy.

Max: [Continues] Short, bald [rubs forehead] and fat. Short, fat and bald [nods head].

Nathan: Fat...

We interrupted: P-H-A-T?

Nathan: [nods in agreement] Yeah, with all these chains [laughs]. Shy... [group teases him and he settles with...] A purple street gangster. There you go. Yeah!

Siva: I’m tall...dark and smelly. [laughs]

You have a song called ‘Weakness’ right; so what is your one weakness?

Max: Mine would have to be anything to do with animal cruelty. Documentaries or films to do with animals just hit me hard. Just films in general; I cry.

Jay: You do cry a lot.

Max: I just weep.

Jay: My weakness is Avatar. Or some will say strength, but most would say weakness. [laughs]

Siva: I’m going to say two. I hate crying girl fans...hate it. It really gets to me. They just want everything from you and you can’t give them everything. My second weakness would be Tom’s smelly feet. That’s my weakness [laughs].

Max: He’s in love with them [laughs].

Tom: I hate child cruelty. I want to try to do something, like a charity...and I also hate my feet! If you smell them, I’m sorry.

Nathan: I’m kind of with Tom; create charities. My weakness is Man United losing.

*Videos and interview by Felicia Chin

No comments:

Post a Comment